Melvin Gordon Says He’ll Be Ready to Play for the Chargers Sunday

Melvin Gordon did not practice with the Chargers on Wednesday. But just days after setting a new personal rushing record, the third-year tailback is confident he’ll play in the regular-season finale against the Raiders — ankle injury or not, Jack Wang of the Los Angeles Daily News reports.

“I’m good,” he said. “I’ll be ready on Sunday.”

Coach Anthony Lynn stuck to that philosophy on Wednesday, taking a wait-and-see approach on Gordon despite the running back’s own insistence on his availability.

“He’s day by day,” Lynn said. “If it’s something he can play with, then he’ll play. But right now, we won’t know until the end of the week.”

Gordon has already been listed as questionable multiple times this season due to shoulder, knee and foot injuries. His status was most in doubt before a Week 8 trip to New England, but he responded with an 87-yard touchdown run — one that tied Paul Lowe’s 56-year-old franchise record.

It’s unclear whether or not his latest injury is more serious. Dr. David Chao, a former Chargers team doctor, expressed the opinion in the San Diego Union-Tribune that — based on his review of video evidence — Gordon appeared to suffer a high ankle sprain, a condition that normally requires weeks of recovery.

But Gordon did not have a noticeable limp after the Chargers beat the Jets on Christmas Eve. He said in the locker room that he rolled his ankle twice during the game, adding that he had played through similar injuries earlier this season.


Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Chargers Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to del.icio.us  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

Leave a Reply