Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt Staying with the Bolts

The Chargers coaching staff looks as if it is going to stay put, as it was reported late on Tuesday that defensive coordinator Gus Bradley would be sticking around, and now from Ian Rapoport at NFL Network, OC Ken Whisenhunt is also staying in Los Angeles.

The Chargers were 13th in the NFL with 22.2 points per game this last season, and averaged 376.6 yards per game, good for 4th in the NFL. A couple offseason pick-ups and some solid offensive picks in the draft and the Chargers offense could take an even bigger step forward in 2018.

Chargers Expected to Keep Defensive Coordinator Gus Bradley

With rumors that teams wanted to speak to him, score a win for the Chargers as reports say that the team is going to be able to keep around defensive coordinator Gus Bradley.

The Packers asked to speak to Bradley about coming aboard, but it appears that the Chargers have won this battle keeping Bradley around.

Chargers Not Sure About the Future of Tight End Antonio Gates

Chargers general manager Tom Telesco said Thursday that he is uncertain about veteran tight end Antonio Gates‘ future with the team according to Charean Williams of Pro Football Talk.com.

“We’ll probably let some time go a little bit after the season I’ll sit down with Antonio and just kind of talk to him and see what his thoughts are, what he’s thinking and see where our thoughts are and what we’re thinking,” Telesco said.

“I don’t have an answer for that right now.” Gates himself has already said he wants to return for a 16th season and he seems to understand that, if he stays with the Chargers, at this point in his career he will be playing second fiddle to Hunter Henry. Gates caught 30 passes for 316 yards and three touchdown in 16 games in 2017. Whenever he does decide to hang up his cleats, the Pro Football Hall of Fame will undoubtely be calling five years later.

Schefter: Chargers RB Melvin Gordon to Play Sunday Against Raiders

Melvin Gordon’s status has been up in the air all week, but ESPN’s Adam Schefter today says that the Chargers running back is going to be on the field ready to play against the Raiders in the regular season finale.

Melvin Gordon Says He’ll Be Ready to Play for the Chargers Sunday

Melvin Gordon did not practice with the Chargers on Wednesday. But just days after setting a new personal rushing record, the third-year tailback is confident he’ll play in the regular-season finale against the Raiders — ankle injury or not, Jack Wang of the Los Angeles Daily News reports.

“I’m good,” he said. “I’ll be ready on Sunday.”

Coach Anthony Lynn stuck to that philosophy on Wednesday, taking a wait-and-see approach on Gordon despite the running back’s own insistence on his availability.

“He’s day by day,” Lynn said. “If it’s something he can play with, then he’ll play. But right now, we won’t know until the end of the week.”

Gordon has already been listed as questionable multiple times this season due to shoulder, knee and foot injuries. His status was most in doubt before a Week 8 trip to New England, but he responded with an 87-yard touchdown run — one that tied Paul Lowe’s 56-year-old franchise record.

It’s unclear whether or not his latest injury is more serious. Dr. David Chao, a former Chargers team doctor, expressed the opinion in the San Diego Union-Tribune that — based on his review of video evidence — Gordon appeared to suffer a high ankle sprain, a condition that normally requires weeks of recovery.

But Gordon did not have a noticeable limp after the Chargers beat the Jets on Christmas Eve. He said in the locker room that he rolled his ankle twice during the game, adding that he had played through similar injuries earlier this season.

Chargers RB Melvin Gordon Hopeful He Can Go Sunday Against Oakland

Chargers running back Melvin Gordon is “optimistic” he will be able to play in Week 17 against the Oakland Raiders according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com.

Gordon sprained his ankle late in Sunday’s win over the New York Jets and was spotted wearing a walking boot over the holidays. Head coach Anthony Lynn admits that Gordon may not be able to practice this week but has already proclaimed that his star running back could play against the Raiders even without practicing. While most of the NFL games this weekend are meaningless, the Chargers are in a must-win situation if they are to have any shot at earning a wildcard berth. Gordon may end up as a game-time decision.

If Gordon is unable to suit up, the bulk of the running attack may be on veteran Branden Oliver’s shoulders as rookie Austin Ekeler is dealing with a broken hand.

Former Chargers QB on the Team Playing in a Soccer Stadium “It is Embarrassing”

Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Fouts was a witness to the first two Chargers games at the Carson soccer stadium known as StubHub Center and wasn’t impressed, Jay Posner of UT San Diego reports.

“It is embarrassing, I think, for both the Chargers and the National Football League, to be playing in a 27,000-seat stadium,” Fouts, a team-employed broadcaster during the preseason, said Monday in an interview with KNX-AM in Los Angeles. “In fact, the Chargers’ first game ever, when they beat the New York Titans in a preseason game, in the Coliseum, it drew 27,000.”

Fouts’ memory is accurate. The Chargers-Titans game on Aug. 6, 1960, attracted 27,778 to the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Fifty-seven years later, the Chargers’ exhibition games against Seattle and New Orleans at StubHub had crowds of 21,054 and 21,197, respectively.

Fouts agreed with his KNX interviewer that the Chargers leaving San Diego for Los Angeles was a mistake but added, “Both the city and the ownership are to blame for where the Chargers are right now. They couldn’t get together on a deal for a new stadium for over 15 years, so both sides have to share in the responsibility.”

Chargers OL Max Tuerk Hit with Four Game Suspension

Max Tuerk of the Chargers has been suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2017 regular season for violating the NFL policy on performance enhancing substances.

Tuerk will be eligible to return to the Chargers’ active roster on Monday, October 2 following the team’s October 1 game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Tuerk is eligible to participate in all preseason practices and games.

“This offseason, I made the mistake of taking over-the-counter supplements,” Tuerk said in a statement. ” In doing so, I opened myself up to the possibility of consuming a tainted supplement – something that ultimately led to a positive test for a banned substance. I accept responsibility for my actions and understand the NFL’s policy is very clear on this matter. This is a very hard way to learn a lesson, and I will never make this mistake again.”